NEXT GEN 2022
Next Gen 2022 showcases the work of students from government, Catholic and Independent schools from Ballarat and its broader region who have just completed VCE studies in Art, Studio Arts, Design and Technology, Visual Communication and Design and Media.
The Art Gallery of Ballarat has been exhibiting some of the best work produced by students from across western Victoria for over 20 years. Next Gen continues to be an important part of the Gallery’s exhibition program. It provides industry training to its participants, acts as an inspiring introduction to the art world for current students, and gives Gallery visitors insights into the world of young people today.
Next Gen 2022 will include work that challenges the standard of previous years.
& OPENING HOURS
19 February–24 April 2022
Open 10 am–5 pm daily
Information for applicants
What is NEXT GEN?
Each year the Art Gallery of Ballarat hosts the NEXT GEN exhibition to showcase art and design projects created by Year 12 students across the Central Highlands and South-western Regions. This project is supported by the Victorian Government’s Department of Education and Training Strategic Partnerships Program.
Who can apply?
NEXT GEN is open to students who are completing Unit 4 studies in Art, Studio Art, Visual Communication and Design, Media and Product Design Technology as part of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) and students who have created design or art projects as part of the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL).
How to apply?
Students are required to fill out the online application form by 11.59 pm on 15 November 2021. Selection is based on artistic merit and each student’s application to their studies throughout VCE or VCAL. Selection will be made by a panel consisting of the Galley Director, Education Team and Curator.
What to include in your application
- Completed and signed online entry form
- Contact details of student*, teacher and parent/guardian with a photograph of student (jpeg; 300dpi)
*Please make sure you give an appropriate email i.e. not a school email address.
- A high-resolution photograph of the artwork (jpeg, 300dpi) for the catalogue
- Artwork dimensions and medium
- A short description (60-100 words) of the work
Selection and Notification Process
- A selection panel will select finalists for the exhibition.
- The decision of the selection panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Successful applicants will be notified by Friday 22 November 2021.
- If you are successful you will receive an email invitation to attend the NEXT GEN opening and awards evening held at the Art Gallery of Ballarat. Please make sure you give an appropriate email i.e. not a school email address.
What to do if your work is selected?
Work selected for exhibition need to be prepared and delivered to the Art Gallery of Ballarat on Monday 8 or Tuesday 9 December 2021 between 10 am–5 pm.
Students are also requested to deliver any folio work that corresponds with the submitted artwork. Folios will be available for students to view throughout the duration of the exhibition.
NOTE: Please do not bring in work that has not been selected.
Guidelines for artwork
- Works must arrive ready to hang or install –g. framed or stretched with D-rings attached.
- Digital entries are to be submitted on a USB as either mp3, mp4, jpg, or mov
- Sculptures should be packed in absorbent materials to avoid damage during transport
- Fixatives and binders should be used sufficiently to prevent natural pigments from flaking, smudging or lifting from the surface.
- All work must have the student’s name and title of work clearly marked on the back/base of the work
- Closing date for registration entries: Monday 15 November 2021 at 11.59 pm
- Notification of successful applications: Friday 22 November 2021
- Works selected for exhibition delivered to the Art Gallery of Ballarat : 8–9 December 2021 between 10 am and 5 pm
- Opening and Awards night: Friday 18 February 2022
- Announcement of People’s Choice Award: Friday 22 April 2022
- Exhibition closes: Sunday 24 April 2022
- Dispatch and collection: Tuesday 26 April 2022, 10 am–5 pm